An avocado is, botanically, a large berry that grows on a tree that can reach 6 feet tall, and just like banana, it ripens 1-2 weeks after being picked. This fruit is classified in the same family as camphor and cinnamon.
The oldest evidence of the avocado was found in a cave in Puebla, Mexico and dates back to around 10,000 B . Due to their impressive nutritional value, avocados are often referred to as the healthiest food in the world.
These amazing fruits are of great help in numerous health conditions, since they contain the following vitamins, minerals and important nutrients and:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B9
- Potassium (An avocado contains more potassium than a banana, as it contains 14% and a banana contains 10% potassium)
Therefore, they can be extremely helpful in various health conditions:
- Avocados contain an antioxidant called glutathione that prevents heart disease, cancer and slows the signs of aging.
- They help our body absorb 5 times the amount of carotenoids (lycopene and beta- carotene).
- These amazing fruits are high in beta-sitosterol, and they can lower bad cholesterol by 22%, and raise good cholesterol by 11%. Also, it lowers blood triglycerides by 20%.
- They contain 23% folate which lowers incidences of heart disease and stroke. Also, they contain vitamin E, monounsaturated fats and glutathione which are also good for the heart. Folate is also essential in the prevention of birth defects, such as spina bifida and neural tube defect.
- Avocados cleanse the intestines, relieving bad breath.
- Avocados also contain more carotenoid lutein than any other fruit, which in useful in protecting against muscular degeneration and cataracts.
- Polyphenols and flavonoids in avocados have anti- inflammatory properties.
- Glutathione found in avocados fights free radicals.
Our blood and cells carry oxygen all throughout our bodies, and when we are exposed to environmental pollutants, these toxins change the oxygen in our mitochondria into free radicals, destroying our cells and DNA and creating chronic illnesses. Studies conducted by the Federation of American Society for Experimental Biology showed that glutathione in avocados can be absorbed into our mitochondria and then may neutralize free radicals.
- According to research, high oleic acid prevents breast cancer, inhibits tumor growth in prostate cancer and seeks out precancerous and oral cancer cells and destroys them.
- Avocado extract paired with soybean oil can reduce the symptoms of arthritis.
- Avocado oil greatly nourishes the skin and represents a beneficial treatment for psoriasis and other skin irritations.
- Avocados can help in the process of weight loss, as they are high in fiber and will help you feel fuller longer. High fiber helps metabolic health and steadies blood sugar.
Commit to be Fit